Friday, August 24, 2007

From Jim

Excellent idea, Lynda. And please do look us up when you're settled in.
We live in Ballard, not too awful far from Rose.

So, where to begin.

I finally finished my WWU degree this spring. I commuted from Seattle
for two morning classes in Winter quarter 06, then another evening class
Spring 06, took the translation exam Fall of 06, a defended my this in
February. My favorite comment during the defense was Bill Lyne telling
me I had managed to sidestep the cliches that were screaming out
around me.

With the degree complete, I started looking for work, something that
would either fit around the childcare schedule or justify paying for
full-time care. A short four months of searching later, I took the job of
PR Manager for Seattle Children's Theatre. This was my first week, and I
think it will be a good fit. Works around my schedule, leaves me time
to write, great organization.

I've been trying to stay artistically active, but it can be tough with
this whole daddying business. I wrote for 14/48 again a couple of times
this year, and published a pretty good story in a pretty crappy online
magazine (for whom I may be doing a reading at the Rendezvous 8/24 -
I'll keep Seattle folks posted), and have recently taken up blogging on
arts/lit/culture for RIVET Magazine
(http://www.rivetmagazine.org/author/Jim%20Jewell). And I've got a bunch
or stuff up at www.jimjewell.com, a sit I put toogether for the job
search.

I've been reading an assload of graphic novels ever since I discovered
just how many the library has and how easy it is to have them delivered
to the local branch that is less than a block away. If you ever get
the notion, I highly recommend the non-superhero titles "Ex Machina" and
"Y:The Last Man" and "Fables" and, by my man Douglas Rushkoff,
"Testament." It is a very cinematic storytelling style, and a venue for stories
that wouldn't work in other forms.

Olivia is four now, and has a major attitude. Wicked smart, reads a
lot, knows exactly how to push Daddy's buttons and drive him insane. She's
really into ballet and has just recently been getting into drama with
a couple camps and workshops. There are pics of her at
livvielivin.blogspot.com, though I have been horribly remiss in posting new ones this
summer.

Nothing else terribly exciting to pass on. I miss you all, and am
terribly jealous of any and all of you that got to stay in academia. Never
felt at home mucha anywhere but in a classroom. Perhaps someday I'll get
enough stories published to actually merit a teaching job.

Glad to hear about some of y'all, and hope to hear from more.

Much love,
JJ

No comments: