Monday, October 1, 2007

Lynda asks questions

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm delighted by this conversation!

And Kyle, let me apologize for being flip. I was genuinely surprised though by your phrase "the trauma we call the 80s" and part of why is because I lived through it, but part of it is because we were almost the generation who lived without a major war (and one could argue that the surgical precision of Desert Storm precludes it from being declared a major war; which I note only because living through the cold war what we as a cultural group thought of in terms of war was annihilation/nuclear war, and I do not in any way mean to belittle the trauma of those who endured Dessert Storm)

So Kyle, tell me more about identities being forged out of cultural moods...because I think that's precisely what confuses me about this whole phenomenon...I mean; I know the people picking lead-in music for tv shows are probably people in their 30s or 40s, but the college freshmen are who confuse me with their appropriation of a culture that they really don't know the first thing about (a la Jan's story).

Tell me more!

No comments: